Sunday, October 28, 2012

I Can't Weave it Alone

I Can't Weave it Alone
or
Take That, Arthritis!

I used to crochet.  And knit.  A lot.  Then RA took away my ability to do fine motions with my fingers for an extended amount of time, so I had to pretty much give them up.  And that was sad.

But then my wonderful husband bought me this!

And I have been very happy since.  It's an Ashford Knitter's Loom.  It's collapsible and portable, and I can make projects up to 20" wide.



Recently, my sister was diagnosed with stage zero breast cancer.  (Stage zero meaning that it was caught at the precancerous stage.  Radiation treatments suck, but she's gonna be fine.)  And with it being breast cancer awareness month, I made her a pink scarf.

These are the yarns that I used:

All of them were at Joann's.  (Moonlight Madness sale!  Woot!)
The fuzzies near the bottom are fun fur and sparkly fun fur.  The Pound of love is lighter than the rest, and I used it for my weft.  I liked the contrast in the finished product.

Work in progress:






And the finished scarf:



I'm very happy with this project (my selvedges are actually even!) but there are a few things I learned.  Fun fur looks like it would be a good idea, but the weaving process makes all of the threads lay down and you can barely tell that it's there.  The sparkly yarn, however, is a big yes!  I thought it added greatly to the overall scarf.  It's hard to see in the picture, but it's there.

So what colors should I try next?

No comments:

Post a Comment